Delivered live via Zoom
Over the course of the four weeks, we will look at story openings, characterisation, point of view, plot, and theme as you are guided through handouts on craft, invited to partake in written activities, and encouraged to discuss the elements of craft encountered in assigned stories and in your own work. There will be a reading assignment each week and your written goal will be to complete a short story. The format for each class is as follows:
1. Introductory chat followed by a prompted 10-minute written exercise.
2. An instructive session, based on a PowerPoint/handout on the art of writing where a different element of craft is explored each week.
3. A short discussion referencing the weekly reading assignment.
4. Workshopping weekly written assignments from at least two students.
5. Concluding chat about the writing plans for the week ahead.
Writers of the short form you can expect to encounter include William Trevor, Eílís Ní Dhuibhne, Claire Keegan, Danielle McLaughlin, Flannery O’ Connor, Raymond Carver, Carys Davies, and Kevin Barry. Class numbers will not exceed ten.
Course cost €120
Class numbers will not exceed ten.
See FAQ section for terms and other payment options.